Board Certified in Otolaryngology & Sleep Medicine
Dr. Varela completed his training in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina in 2004. His undergraduate and medical degrees were both completed at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida. Dr. Varela has practiced in the Portland metro area since 2004. He founded Northwest ENT and Allergy in February 2007 to provide easily accessible, community-based ear, nose, throat and allergy care for the entire family.
Dr. Varela enjoys seeing a wide variety of general otolaryngology problems, and his particular interests are pediatric and adult allergy, sinus, sleep and swallowing disorders. His office is equipped for a full range of inhalant (pollen, mold, dust, dander) and food allergy testing as well as endoscopic evaluation of sinus, swallowing and speech disorders. Home sleep testing for sleep apnea and office-based procedures for snoring and nasal blockage are also available.
Dr. Varela strives to provide an office setting that is comfortable and relaxed. Generous appointment times ensure that each new patient receives a thorough evaluation without feeling rushed or pressured. In his free time Dr. Varela enjoys spending time with his wife and two young daughters. They enjoy spending time in the outdoors and all the great food, music and cultural events the Portland area has to offer. He is enrolled in the healthcare MBA program at OHSU and PSU. Cycling, running, traveling, beer home-brewing, college sports and Trailblazers basketball are some of his other interests.
- American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery: Otolaryngology and Sleep Medicine
- American College of Surgeons Head and Neck Ultrasound Course
- Oregon State Medical Board
- Washington State Medical Board
- North Carolina Medical Board
- Diplomat American Board of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Fellow American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Fellow American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy
- Member Oregon Academy of Otolaryngology
- Member Oregon Medical Association